Volaris Airlines is the Mexican airline company that I travel on. They are similar to the Southwest airline company in the USA (they actually partner with them and codeshare), but Volaris is much nicer and cleaner planes, plus you can chose your seat assignments when you “Check-in” online 72 hours before your flight and avoid the Southwest cattle call boarding.
Why I like Volaris:
1) Price. They have a club that offers excellent pricing and they seem to always be cheaper then AreoMexico for my specific flights.
2) Bags fly free – yes, they allow 1 checked luggage, 1 carry one and one backpack/purse/briefcase. If you want to buy extra luggage online you can even add weight if your bags are heavy.
3) You get to chose your seat when you check-in 72 hours in advance online
4) They provide free drinks and chips on board midway there. Includes several cocktails, sodas, beer, etc. all “gratis!”
Some things that make it difficult using the airline that should be noted:
1) Language while on every flight I have been on there is at least one flight attendant that speaks very fluent English, if you don’t actually speak Spanish, many other things could be difficult, like calling in sometimes or when they need to contact you.
2) For my trips to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas, they only have 1 flight a day. Miss it and well, you’re staying the night. (expected as there seem to be less then full flights every time I’ve been)
3) Every time I purchase a ticket using an USA debit or credit card, I get a call from my bank for Fraud protection. I think it’s more of an issue I have with the bank then Volaris, but it wouldn’t hurt if they accepted cards “in the USA” also as they offer USA phone numbers to call if you need an customer service rep.
Over all, I really like this airline. Combined with the ease of the airport in Tijuana makes for a very nice travel arrangement when flying in Mexico.